Milpitas Public Library
150 North Main Street, Milpitas, CA 95035
Group 4’s expansion to a 1916 grammar school building serves not only as the new Milpitas Public Library, but also as the centerpiece of the city’s new North Main Street redevelopment district. New north and south wings frame and embrace the historic structure, complementing its strong classical design with bold, dynamic elements that celebrate the integration of the past and the future. A largely transparent building, the new library admits abundant light through well-oriented clerestories. A new tensile canopy transforms the school’s central courtyard into a bright public reading room. The south tower features art that celebrates Milpitas history.
The new library opened to the public in January 2009.
Merit Award - AIA East Bay Chapter
Photos ©2009 Steve Whittaker/www.whittpho.com