81st Avenue Library
The new 81st Avenue Library is a civic and community beacon for this underserved east Oakland neighborhood. The largest branch in the city’s library system, it doubles as an academic library for two adjacent elementary schools. A large dedicated teen area, quiet reading room, and preschool area are zoned to provide multi-generational use with acoustic control. The distinctive architectural form and vibrant interiors reflect the library’s commitment to innovation and sustainability.
Group 4 assisted to the City of Oakland and the Oakland Public Library in their successful application to the California State Library for construction grant funding.
- Client: Oakland Public Library
- Scope: New Library
- Status: Completed
- Photography: Cesar Rubio
- LEED-NC Gold
- Outstanding Project – American School & University Magazine
- Citation Award – AIA San Mateo County
- Dayton Northwest Library
- San Leandro Washington Manor Branch Library
- Roosevelt Community Center